Award winners and scholarship recipients also recognized during June 8 celebration
The RSEC Academy High School is proud to announce its graduating Class of 2018 as well as scholarship and award recipients. The five graduating seniors were celebrated at an event on Friday, June 8, and all will be attending some form of higher education – either through college or other post-secondary education and training program – in the future.
Congratulations to The RSEC Academy High School Class of 2018:
- Jack Trainor-Auen of Antrim, NH;
- Alex Coughlin of Manchester, NH.;
- Jordan Pearce of Litchfield, NH;
- Hayden Rogers of Londonderry, NH; and
- Julia White of Pelham, NH
“There is no doubt that the students leaving us this year will go on to achieve great things,” said Judy Koch, RSEC’s executive director. “Not only are they extremely bright and hard-working, they are also kind, and helpful people who truly care about each other and their communities.”
In addition to celebrating the next step in their academic and professional careers, The RSEC Academy High School recognized the following standout students:
- Citizenship Award – Hayden Rogers, for his work with the Positive Approaches to Learning Disabilities program, which is offered to schools and parents at no cost to help them understand learning disabilities and ways to better educate students with special needs. Hayden also spent many hours doing outreach to his community of Londonderry to teach students and adults how to overcome their own anxieties.
- Student of the Year Award – Freshman Charles Ward of Bedford, N.H., for demonstrating the principles and philosophies of The RSEC Academy as well as being a member of his community and achieving academically.
- RSEC Founders Scholarship – Hayden Rogers, in honor of RSEC’s first executive director, Philip Boucher, who dedicated his life’s work to provide opportunities for individuals with disabilities to reach new heights and to break down barriers.
Former RSEC Academy Assistant Director Stanley Shupe, who retired last year, was the event’s keynote speaker. He shared touching and funny advice for the graduating seniors, ending his speech with his trademark comment, “Be kind to your parents and pets. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen.”
Photo: Pictured left to right are graduates of The RSEC Academy High School in Amherst, NH: Julia White, Jordan Pearce, Hayden Rogers, Alex Coughlin, Jack Trainor Auen