Longview School Admissions
To get started, please read through the Longview School admissions criteria. To begin the application process, please contact us to set up an interview and send student IEP paperwork, the latest transcripts and recent evaluations.
Here’s what you can expect after contacting the Longview School:
After the initial interview, and if the student and Longview School staff think it’s a good fit, we will schedule a day visit to shadow a current student and complete an academic assessment to determine class placement.
Our class sizes are capped at eight students, and the Longview School’s capacity is 22 students. For more information about availability and enrollment details, contact Nicole MacVane at Nmcvane@rsec.org or through our “Contact Us” page.
Longview School Admissions Criteria
Young people between the ages of 13 and 21 with emotional, behavioral or other educational disabilities who have been unsuccessful in prior educational settings are welcome to apply.
Every member of the Longview School community is required to commit to the following five elements:
- Attendance – our hands-on approach requires you – and your hands – to be here.
- Academics – you must be of average intellectual ability and capable of working in a small group setting.
- Behavior – you must be self-aware of what has been impacting your progress with support and feedback from Longview School staff. We respond to different behaviors appropriately, encouraging the appropriate reward or consequence, just like in real life.
- Adventure-Based Counseling and Arts-Based Counseling – the core of our therapy work happens every Friday, through small groups and the shared experience of a hands-on experience, such as paddling, skiing, rock climbing, culinary or visual arts, and other expeditions, and everyone participates.
- Best effort – Willingness to try and effort will help students overcome many obstacles that students with unique learning challenges face every day. We look for that effort in the classroom, on Adventure-Based Counseling days and in counseling sessions.